Thursday, April 12, 2012

And then I made a Super Mario Cake.

O's birthday always sneaks up on me. It's only 6 weeks after C's birthday and that seems like a lot of time but it really isn't. So some years I just don't have a lot of creative fire when it comes to his cake. It doesn't help that most years he requests the same cake that C had. This year was no different. "I want the same cake as C had, Mom!" O said. "But with a Mario face instead of a Luigi face because Mario is MY favorite."

That would have been easy enough to do since I already figured out a method for the Luigi cake a few weeks ago. But this year I was determined to make O something special and unique.  I wanted to try to create a Super Mario scene.  But how to do it?

Luckily I was able to find a few mini figures on Amazon to help me flesh it out. (Hooray for 2 day Prime shipping since I only thought to order them a few days beforehand!) I made my typical two round cakes, but split one in half and stacked it to make the backdrop for the scene. Then I added icing for bushes, clouds, coins, and to cover an oreo cookie pipe.

The results?  A grumpy baby who was upset over being ignored, a very sore back from hunching over the cake for hours, and this....



I was a little worried that O wouldn't like it since it wasn't the Mario face he asked for, but thank goodness, he thought it was awesome!

1 comment: