Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for VEGAN Ice Cream!!!

For Christmas, SIL gave us a fancy ice cream maker. But even more wonderfully, she gave us a book full of dairy free ice cream recipes!!

The New Scoop by Alina Niemi

Due to C's milk allergy, we've never been able to enjoy the traditional family outing to the ice cream shop at the end of a fun summer day. Yes, there are soy ice creams that one can buy, and our freezer is typically stocked with some of these, but the flavors are limited. I've always thought about trying to make my own ice cream for C, but didn't know how to begin. I never even thought to look for a book on how to make dairy free ice cream. It just didn't occur to me that such a thing existed! But as I discovered, this book plays to a wider audience than just those with food allergies, also targeting people who are vegan, people who prefer to make their own ice cream to avoid common additives like dyes and preservatives, people who like the idea of using the freshest produce, and those who just want to experiment with exciting new flavors of ice cream!

The boys requested that we make a "normal" flavor first, which was easy since the book does have a section detailing how to make the most typical flavors. They settled on strawberry ice cream, and it was quite fun to make our own beautiful pink ice cream with fresh strawberries, tofu, soymilk and some oil for fat. It tasted quite like the store bought strawberry soy ice cream we've had in the past.

Our First Homemade Vegan Ice Cream Experiment!

For our next experiment, I wanted to try something more adventurous, and went for Avocado ice cream. With great flavor from fresh avocados and freshly squeezed lime juice, this came out delicious!! I will definitely make this again.

Avocado Ice Cream
Most recently I tried the Pomegranate-Strawberry-Banana Sorbet recipe and that too was delicious! While I love this book for its dairy-free aspect, I've also come to appreciate just how delicious and healthy freshly made ice cream can be! I look forward to whipping up a lot more flavors in the future!
Pomegranate-Strawberry-Banana Sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment