Monday, October 11, 2010

Stud

When you've been a SAHM for 5 years, it's hard when your children go to school. You go from knowing absolutely everything about them to having huge gaps in your knowledge. Being dependent on 3 & 5 year old boys for information is difficult. After 2 years in preschool, I have C pretty well trained and he often will give me a fairly thorough report on his day. But O's response to "How was your day? What did you do today?" is always "Great! But I don't want to tell you about it." Who knew 3 year olds could already be so annoying!

So it's especially funny when I get little insights into their experience from someone else. A couple of weeks ago while dropping O off at school, one of his classmate's moms rushed over to introduce herself.

"Are you O's mom?!?" she asked eagerly.

"Yes," I said, a bit warily.

"Oh, it's so good to meet you! My daughter just loves O! She talks about him all the time, all we hear about school is "O this and O that". It's a running joke in our house that O is her boyfriend already!"

Huh??? I didn't even know who this girl was, since O never tells me anything. But sure enough, as we walked into the school, a little girl came running up "O! There you are!" and then they ran off to the classroom holding hands. I then watched as she directed O through the morning routine. "Here's your hook O! Here's your picture! Let's sign in! Now let's go play!" O followed her willingly enough.  When I asked him about this girl later, he said "Yeah, S is my friend. But I don't want to tell you about it." What is he 13 already?!?!

That evening I told Hubby all about how O has a little girlfriend at school. "Did you know that apparently O is a stud?" I asked him.

"Of course he is! That's my boy!" he said proudly. I just rolled my eyes.

*          *          *

When I was unpacking C's backpack last week, I found a painting that clearly had not been done by C.


"What's this?" I asked.

"Oh, that's a painting that a girl in my class made for me." he said.

"Oh really? That's nice. Is she your friend?" I asked.

"I guess. Everyone's my friend." C replied nonchalantly.

"Well, why did she make it for you?" I asked.

"I don't know Mom. Why not?"  He's playing it cool already.

 *          *          *

As a mom to all boys, I feel a great responsibility to make sure I raise them to be fine young men who are respectful and kind to women. I just didn't realize the girls would be after them already!

No comments:

Post a Comment