Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bonding

In the last few weeks, O has gotten back into the habit of waking up around 5:45AM and often ends up crawling into bed with me and talking my ear off. While I really want to nip this in the bud before the baby comes, I've just been too tired to fight it, especially since he's generally quite adorable and always wants to talk about his little brother at this time of day. While C is also very interested in the baby, O has taken it to another level. He is so excited to finally get to be a big brother, and is always talking about all the things he is going to do with the baby. He always wants to give my tummy "gentle pats" because he is sure that these are the baby's favorite thing.  O also is always trying to see his baby through my belly button, and doesn't quite understand why this doesn't work. He was so excited when he finally got to see the baby on the ultrasound screen last week. Whenever the doppler sounds came on, he kept saying "the baby is sneezing! I hear him sneezing!"


During this morning's snuggle, I think O actually felt the baby kick for the first time. We've tried this before but he would always say "I feel it! I feel it!" when nothing was happening. This morning though, his exclamations actually seemed to match up with the baby's movements. Since this week's Babycenter pregnancy update said "The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other", this morning when I got tired of all of O's "gentle pats" (which eventually trend towards not-so-gentle after all), I suggested that he try to talk to his baby brother.

I wasn't expecting them to have a whole conversation...

O speaks into my belly button: "I love you, baby!"

O presses his ear to my belly and listens intently. "I hear him! I hear him Mommy!"

Me: "Really?"

O: "Yes! He is saying "Wah wah." That means "I love you O!"

Me: "Oh, that's so nice. I am sure your little brother does love you already."

O: "Shhh! He is still saying baby talk!"

Me: "Oh, sorry."

O: "He says his favorite song is 'Real Gone!' (O's favorite song from the CARS soundtrack).

Me: "Well, he hears that everyday in the car, so I guess he might like that song."

O: "I like that song best too baby! What else do you like?"

O presses his ear against my belly again.... "He says I love O and Mommy!!"

Me: "Awww, well we love him too! O, I'm so glad you understand his baby talk! Because after he is born, you can help me understand what he wants."

O replies very seriously: "Mommy, when he is crying and he is wet, that means he needs a diaper. And when he is not wet, that means he needs a baby bottle. And then I am going to carry him to the table and feed him!"

O listens to my belly intently again. "He said "That's right!"

I'm glad he's already got it all figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment