Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"You Wanna Be... A Loser Like Me!!"

As a former choir and band member, I've really been enjoying the show Glee since it premiered. The show follows the trials and tribulations of a bunch of high school students trying to start a Glee club. The characters on the show work hard to persevere despite being picked on, and continue to develop and share the joy they find in song. I love the message that despite what people think, music is cool!

Music has brought me a lot in my life...discipline, confidence, some of my very best friends, and even my dear Hubby, who I met in my college band. Who knew woodwinds could mix so well with brass? Looking back, I have no idea what my life would be like without music.

So far, the boys seem to enjoy music too. They love to listen to the Glee soundtrack (among other things) in the car, and we often have "dance/jam parties" to their catchier tunes. Right now C says he wants to play the trombone, and O (inspired by his favorite show "Little Einsteins") wants to play the violin. I've started looking into the best ways to teach them how to read music, and am trying to determine the right time to start them with piano lessons. I haven't quite sorted it out yet, but hopefully I won't screw things up!

For now they just love "rocking out" with their toy instruments. I can't tell you how happy it makes me when they say "Hey Mom! Maybe we can jam today?" Here they are "jamming" to Glee's latest song "Loser Like Me".


Future bandies?

I do hope that the boys continue to love music as they grow up. Maybe they'll even be in the band! But even more importantly, I hope they'll have the confidence to pursue whatever their passions are, even if their peers say it isn't cool. I hope that while they're having fun, they're also internalizing the song's message. And that they'll never lose those joyful smiles!



No comments:

Post a Comment