Friday, March 16, 2012

It's been too long...

OK. Clearly I stink at blogging. I keep meaning to sit down and write, but never seem to get around to it. I really wish I had documented more of the last year. It's been amazing and exhausting, funny and frustrating to have 3 boys, but life just never seems to sit still enough for me to really reflect on it. Yesterday, when C brought up April Fools Day, I realized that I still remember vividly the funny little things I blogged about in the past, like when he played a confusing April Fools joke on me when he was 5.  He's 7 now... 

There are so many other things I've forgotten. So many things about which I thought "I've got to write that down!" but then didn't. Now I have no idea what those things were. I'm so glad I documented our April Fools exchange because it still makes me chuckle. And I'm sure I would have forgotten it otherwise.

How is it possible that I have a 7 year old anyway? Has that much time really passed since C came into my life? When I was 7, I met one of my friends for life. She was the new girl in my girl scout troop, and the first time she came over to my house to play, we couldn't figure out what to do. We ended up tossing a stuffed bunny back and forth for most of the time. I'm not sure why she wanted to come over again after that less than stellar entertainment, but that was only the first of many playdates, sleepovers, and vacations together. We called ourselves "The JJs" since we both shared the same initial and would scribble stuff like "JJs forever" in notes to each other. I was sure then that we would be friends forever, and 25+ years later, it looks like we're off to a good start. She has 3 girls now. I like the symmetry in that. I think "Auntie J" was the only one of my friends rooting for Baby A to be a boy, so she must like it too! Who knew that day when I was 7 would be the start of something so meaningful?

I wonder if C will be lucky enough to make a friend like that this year. Big stuff is happening right around me every day. I'm just not sure which of the everyday occurrences will end up being the big stuff. So here's hoping I can make more time to sit down to write and reflect on our regular old life, and get a snapshot of what really matters.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me smile. I loved hearing about your friendship you made when you were seven. LOL at you wondering why she came back over again :-)

    ReplyDelete